Sweet Walnut Ring


It's about time for some a nutty sweetness! The dough is so soft it will melt in your mouth, and the filling is addicting. While baking this dessert the aromas reminded me of my favorite bakery. It's hard to wait for the ring to cool to add the creamy sweet icing. I like to eat this dessert when it's still warm it really brings out the cinnamon and walnut flavors. Lovely with a cup of tea or coffee. This recipe takes some time but it is well worth it. It's a weekend treat for my family, I start it in the morning and then we enjoy it all day.

Light and Delicate!!

Sweet Walnut Ring

Dough
2 teaspoons yeast
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup butter, softened
2 tablespoons sugar
1 egg beaten
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 - 3 cups flour
zest of 1 lemon
Filling
1/4 cup butter softened

1/4 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 cups walnuts chopped
1 tablespoon cinnamon

Glaze
1 cup powdered sugar, sifted

2 tablespoons milk
1/4 teaspoon vanilla



Heat milk until 105 degrees, in an electric mixer dissolve yeast in the warm milk until foamy, about 10 minutes. Add 2 1/2 cups flour, butter, salt, sugar,egg, lemon zest and mix using the dough hook until the dough comes together. Add the remaining 1/2 cup of flour if dough is too soft. Turn it out on a floured board and knead until smooth , about 5 minutes. Lightly oil a large bowl, place dough in the bowl and coat with oil. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubles in size about 1 hour. Turn out dough onto a floured surface roll out to 12x18 inches. Spread the butter all over. In a small bowl mix the cinnamon, sugar and walnuts. Spread mixture over butter roll dough into a long roll and press the seam together. With the seam turned downward seal the two ends together to make a ring. Place on a parchment lined baking pan or round bundt pan. Using a sharp knife make cuts every inch cutting only three quarters of the way through. Cover the roll with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place for 45 minutes. Bake at 375 degrees 20 to 30 minutes. Let cool on rack, when cooled drizzle icing all over the ring.

12 comments:

  1. Oh Chef Chuck, Chuck, Chuck... I torture myself every time I visit here!! This brings back so many memories, oh, I can't even begin to tell them all! Well, I AM going to make this- I'll just have to exercise 5 times a week afterwords instead of 3- this walnut ring will be worth it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LaDue, LaDue La Due, I am glad, glad, glad,
    many memories occurred!!! You right it's worth it.
    Enjoy! Thanks, Chuck

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with La Due. Each post is a torture.
    You should put a cook book together. Weight watchers would ban it!
    I'm going to get cracking with those nuts!
    I've linked back because your posts are to good to miss...

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks absolutely delicious!! As does most everything on your blog! I've been browsing while at work, and i'm drooling over my keyboard!!

    can't wait to get home and start baking! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My comment didn't come up!
    I agree with La Due - these posts are torture!
    They'd look good in a cook book but Weight Watchers would be sure to ban it!
    I'm going to get cracking nuts for this recipe, in fact I've linked you back so that I don't miss any others.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh, you're making me hungry and all the restaurants in town are closed for winter!My kitchen has more soaps making ingredients than dinner making ingredients at the moment!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Scintilla, I think you got a point there!
    There are some calories involved I agree, But we have to sacrifice for flavor! And then I run!!
    Thanks, Scintilla

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Anait, Thanks for stopping by!
    You won't be disappointed.
    Enjoy, Chuck

    ReplyDelete
  9. "You should put a cook book together. Weight watchers would ban it!"

    LOL Shameful isn't he Scintilla? A direct hit to the thighs :) .. but what a way to go Chuck! Looks scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can just imagine the smell in your house when this was in the oven! I wouldn't have any self control!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Proud Italian, I love that name!
    The smells have a controlling affect on me!
    Thanks Chuck

    ReplyDelete
  12. You must have read my mind! That is what I was thinking at the time. Thank you, Proud Italian cook!!

    ReplyDelete