Escarole and Bean Soup


Escarole is a broad leaf endive. A slightly bitter tasting vegetable high in folic acid, fiber, and vitamins A and K, escarole can be eaten raw or gently cooked. This was always a real comfort food in the winter nights and we still enjoy it today.



Escarole and Bean Soup!

1/2 bag dry white beans or
2 cans cannellini beans
6 cups water
3 garlic cloves minced
1 tablespoon tomato paste

4 ounces San Marzano tomato sauce
1/4 cup parmigiano cheese grated
1 tablespoon dry oregano
1 ham hock
1 1/4 inch slice pancetta chopped
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

salt and pepper to taste
1 head escarole
optional: 1 teaspoon red hot pepper flakes


Wash and drain beans set aside. In a large pot heat olive oil brown tomato paste add pancetta and cook for about 3 minutes. Add garlic cook another 30 seconds pour in tomato sauce, olive oil, water, ham hock, oregano, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil then simmer for 25 minutes. Add beans and simmer 5 more minutes. Wash escarole and chop leaves, in a separate pot cook escarole in boiling salted water till tender about 5 minutes. Add escarole to soup and mix, add cheese and serve with crusty bread.

14 comments:

  1. Chef Chuck, how did you know that I was in need of a warm bowl of soup. This sounds so hearty and warming. Once again, thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ginger, I could just tell! This is hearty, and I am glad you feel the same! Your Welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Full of flavor and comfort. Can't get much earthier than this Chuck. Fabulous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmmm... Is my spot at the table still set..? ;-) Janet

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello YankeeSoaper, That's so true, full earthy flavor!!
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gee, Judging from your recipes, I think we could be related. Do you have any Calabrian blood in you? This is what I'm making tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Scintilla, I feel proud that you are making this dish tonight in ITALY!! I may be related???, My blood started shipwrecked on your coast of the Amalfi in the 800. Long story but we worked our way down to Sicily! We built colonies and churches. Nobel then I said then!! Have you been to the ruins of St Eustacchio church in Pontone?
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Chef Chuck (aka -Bro),
    I notice you use San Marzano tomato sauce for your escarole & bean soup. I recently tried that brand too and find it to be quite delicious. b-t-w, Tina's last name is Marzano and we were wondering if they may be long lost relatives. We'll have to do some research prior to us visiting Italy together!! (hopefully that family trip isn't too far off - I can hardly wait)!
    Your recipes/photos are delightful. . . can't wait to sample soon!
    Love you (& your cooking). We'll chat soon,
    Cathy (aka -sissy)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks so delicious and comforting. I always want to get the San Marzano but my store doesn't carry them. I have been planning to go t a specialty shop and stock up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Sissy my love, I am happy to hear from you and that San Marzano is the way to go! There is lots of Marzano's out there!
    Yes our trip to Italy is getting closer.
    I am glad you like!!
    Love Ya, Chuck

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Live.Love.Eat, Yes it is hard for me to, living in a rural area. I go to World Market it is cheaper then like you say specialty shops. Or ask your local supermarket, maybe they will get San Marzano for you.
    Thanks Chuck

    ReplyDelete
  12. Chuck, this looks amazingly comforting and perfect for a chilly night's dinner. I have never tried escarole (at least that I know of). Is it similar to swiss chard or kale?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Bridgett, Warms your soul on a cold evening! Yes it is similar.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete