Italian Stuffed Mushrooms

Fantastic Funghi!


Here is a great appetizer that seems to please everyone that samples one. These mushrooms are a palate teaser. So many flavors in one little package, to make vegetarian leave out the sausage and use vegetable broth instead. This recipe is dedicated to Toni, in celebration of her life, she was a great cook, who shared this recipe with me.


Italian Stuffed Mushrooms
3 dozen medium mushrooms
1 1/2 pounds ground sausage hot or sweet
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 tablespoon parsley or
2 tablespoons fresh parsley chopped

4 tablespoons butter
2 cups beef broth
1 cup Italian breadcrumbs
3/4 cup of hot water
1 egg

1 onion, finely chopped
4 celery stalks, finely chopped
juice of 1 lemon

Saute onion and celery in pan with 2 tablespoon soil. Add sausage in small chunks until brown. Mix bread crumbs, egg and water together and add to sausage. Then in a separate pan saute butter and garlic for 1 minute add beef broth, parsley and lemon, stir together. Pour sauce over mushrooms when ready to bake.

Assembling:
Hollow out mushrooms with a small spoon add sausage mixture and mound it up. Put in baking pan and pour over broth. Bake 350 for 25 minutes.

6 comments:

  1. I love stuffed mushrooms - I could eat way too many of them.

    The pizza down below looks really delicious too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. See, I love cooking with mushrooms, and love the flavor they leave behind, but to physically eat them...I think not. It's a texture thing.

    However, I would make these for my husband in a heartbeat. He loves mushrooms and truthfully, I do not make them enough for him. Could this be my push to add these ingredients to my next grocery list? Eh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Between these and pizza Chuck, my Super bowl Sunday menu is decided upon, thanks..I've never tried sausage in my mushrooms. Everything looks great! :) Jady

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great Jady! I have made it to Super Bowl, I am honored!!, you will enjoy.
    Thanks, Jady

    ReplyDelete