Chef Chuck's Stuffed Artichoke

Tasty Thistles!!

Artichokes are from the thistle plant originally from Sicily so they say.You can often find these jewels in the streets of Italy! There are vendors who are masters at carving the artichoke just right for cooking. I like to find artichokes in Rome, there they fry the artichoke, at that point it takes on a whole different meaning! All my life we made stuffed artichokes as an appetizer. Scraping each leaf, is so tasty and seems to get softer as I reach the heart. The heart has a concentrated flavor of all the leaves in one.
Enjoy!

Stuffed Artichokes 2 large artichokes
1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs
1/2 cup parmigiano cheese
2 or more garlic cloves minced

salt and pepper to taste
extra virgin olive oil


Cut about 1/2 inch off tops of artichokes and then cut the stem so it will sit. With scissors cut each point off of each leave. Open leaves up and add bread crumbs, cheese, garlic, salt and pepper. Place artichokes in pot with 1 inch of water drizzle olive oil on top and place lid on and steam for 45 minutes up to 1 hour. Check on your water level, add some when needed. When leave pulls off easily, the artichoke is ready to enjoy.
Ricette by Chef Chuck's Cucina
How to eat an Artichoke


Pull off a leave and pull through teeth to remove stuffing and artichoke pulp then discard. Continue till all petals are removed. With a knife or spoon scrape out and discard fuzzy part, called the choke. The heart or flower remains, cut in pieces add salt and enjoy the best part.

10 comments:

  1. It's the simple things... and this one is perfect! I think it can work within the scope of my nutritional guidelines these days as well! Janet

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's time consuming stuffing them but they are delicious. I add minced black olives and sometimes rinsed salted capers to the mix too. Then I cook chopped potatoes with the artichokes as they take in the flavour.
    Can't wait until they are in season again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Janet, The simpler the better, I find works in most things! I am glad you like.
    Thanks Chuck

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Scintilla,I know Artichokes are king when they are in season in Italy! That sounds like something I will try next time.I love olives. How are you cooking your? I thank you for your recipe!
    Chuck

    ReplyDelete
  5. You make it just like me!! ...and my mom..and my grandma...
    You are doing a great job on this blog, Chuck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am joyed to here our families have picked up the same recipe! Thank you Maryann, for the compliment.
    Chuck

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks just like momma used to make!! Yumm..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Laurie, I guess we are both very lucky to have Momma"s like that!! Enjoy, Chuck

    ReplyDelete
  9. Put me in a room with this, and I'm a very happy girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello, Proud Italian Cook!
    You and I both!!

    ReplyDelete