Chef Chuck's Fried Calamari


Calamari Fritti


Calamari, is a delicious fried squid appetizer, served with a marinara sauce and fresh lemon wedges. The corn starch adheres well to the squid therefore resulting in a crunchier bite. Maintaining the correct frying temperature insures a tender calamari. Our family loves these treats as soon as they are fried, they disappear!


Fried Calamari
2 pounds squid
corn starch
canola oil for frying
salt
marinara sauce
lemon wedges


Wash squid and cut into 1/2 inch rings, leave tentacles whole, dredge in corn starch. Heat oil in a small pot to 350 degrees and only fry 4 - 5 tubes at a time so you maintain the right temperature. Fry 1 to 1 1/2 minutes. Place on a kitchen or paper towel, salt and serve. Serves 2 - 4.

16 comments:

  1. This is one of my absolute favorite appetizers! Yum! Where is a quality place for squid in the Phoenix area? Janet

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Janet, My fav too!! I got the squid at our local organic store, new frontiers, here in Prescott! Is there one in Phx?
    Thank You! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi again, I just saw your post on my blog. SI SI SI I would LOVE to see a recipe of tiramisu. I think I make a pretty damn good one but am always open to new recipes (even though I can't eat raw eggs at the moment).

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so delicious! It's actually the only fish I like! I am too scared to tackle it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this but I have never made it myself. I will have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ciao Monika, I will send you a copy for future plans, Of coarse you must take care! This recipe has home made lady fingers with in! Thank You :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes Michele, Please try I know you can do this one, it's so simple. Just make sure your oil is pretty constant, at 350 degrees. Don't throw to many in at a time, this will drop the temp, not good. You will love it!! Thank You and Enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Lisa, You are going to love it! It's simple. And I wanted to let you know Lisa, I was once a Jersey Boy!! Many years ago.
    Thank You :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks Chuck! Funny, I've had a craving for calamari... I think I even have some in the freezer? I should check... cause I think I'm gonna have to cook them now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes Ash, Maybe it's in the air or just seasonal! This is a nice seafood appetizer! Enjoy :)
    Thank You

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those would disappear fast here too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love it! Pass me some over here! LOL xox

    ReplyDelete
  13. My gosh, this is one of my fav appetizers of all time. Very nice!!!! Sorry I have been MIA. I have less time for blogging these days! But what a nice treat now that I am here.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Maryann, If you were closer I surely would pass you some !!
    Thank You :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello Live.Love.Eat, My fav too!! Glad you stopped by, Thank You :)

    ReplyDelete