Chef Chuck's Baked Sausage and Bread


Salsicce con Pane al Forno


An Italian sausage and bread dish baked with soffritto, herbs, eggs and chicken broth. I made my own hot Italian sausage for this recipe, sweet sausage works well too. The bread seems to harbor all the flavors. A great meal for this cool evening!


Baked Sausage and Bread
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small onion, minced
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
1 1/4 pound hot Italian sausage
2 cups focaccia bread, cubed
1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
1 tablespoon sage, chopped
2 eggs, beat
1 cup organic chicken broth
salt and pepper
1 tablespoon butter


In a large frying pan brown the soffritto ( onion, celery and carrot), for about 5 minutes. Add sausage till golden then remove and slice into pieces. Put back in pan with bread cubes, parsley, sage, salt, pepper and butter. Add broth over the dish then beat eggs and pour over entire dish, cover with foil and bake at 350 for 40 minutes.

14 comments:

  1. I may just have to try this tonight, Chef Chuck. I had been thinking about making Sausage Bread but this recipe sounds so enticing. I know the bread will soak up the flavors although, I'm quite curious as to how the eggs will "pan out."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks good...I also like bread and cauliflower!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also like Cauliflower and bread...hmmm this looks even better. Maybe we can add cauliflower too it and get the best of both worlds!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great dish!! This dish has the whole lot!
    looks goood!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Louise, I find the scrambled eggs grows and fluffs up! You should fine, Thank You :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Lucia, Yumm Cauliflower!! Have you ever had breaded and fried cauliflower? Thank You :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes Lucia, The best of both world's sounds delish!!
    Thank You:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Ash, Yes there is a whole lot going on in this dish! Thank You :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow, this looks and sounds delicious. I have never tried this before but I need to change that soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes Bridgett, You will like this one! Thank You :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Never tried this Chuck... actually never even heard of it. Lucky I visit your blog, cause this looks goooood!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Joe, It is good! Thank You:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Holy cannoli. This is unique!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Going on my list to try.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, Live.Love.Eat, I know you will like!
    Thanks a million!

    ReplyDelete