Chef Chuck's Risotto

Risotto ai funghi

Risotto, is a rice dish from Italy. It is made from Arborio, Carnaroli or Vialone Nano these are the best to use. I use Arborio because it is available in my area. Arborio is a pearly white rice it has a short grain and is high in starch. The slow cooking method gives my rice dish a smooth and creamy texture. The rice has an al dente taste meaning it is tender on the outside and firm in the center. This is my favorite risotto recipe but there are countless ways to prepare risotto with many different ingredients you can use.

Mushroom Risotto
1 cup aborio rice
4 cups hot mushroom broth,
chicken or vegetable

6 ounces mushrooms quartered

1/2 onion diced
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup parmigiano cheese grated
pepper to taste
1 tablespoon fresh parsley chopped

In a large skillet over medium high heat, add olive oil and saute' onions for 2 minutes. Then add mushrooms and cook an additional 3 minutes. Lower heat and pour in rice and cook 2 minutes to coat each grain, stirring occasionally. Slowly add about 3 ounces of hot broth and gently stir till absorbed. Then continue to add a little more broth at a time and wait until each addition of broth is absorbed before adding more. This process takes about 20 minutes, so I pull up a chair, you can not rush risotto. After all broth has been added stir in pepper, cheese and parsley. Serve as a main dish or side dish best when eaten right away!
Buon Appetito

10 comments:

  1. I made this last night but I used dried 'porcini' mushroom too. Great minds...

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey Chef Chuck, Thanks for the risotto lesson. I have never made risotto but always wanted to try. It would just be me eating it because my husband would not like it!! We got 10 more inches of snow last night so a warm bowl of risotto would be good right about now!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi Ginger, I know you will love it, a little time and you got yourself the most flavorful rice!
    That is a lot of snow,10 more inches! I don't miss that!
    Thanks Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I can't think of what to cook, or don't have fresh ingredients around, I can always count on a risotto - either with dried mushrooms, or just saffron and parmesan cheese - to save the day. The fresh mushrooms look great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Ciao Chow Linda, Its a meal in itself!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Scintilla, Our timing is right on, Connecting Minds!! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  9. Coming from a northern Italian family I love risotto!!! I prefer to use vialone nano ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Daziano, I can understand, I have noticed more butter is used in northern Italy's risotto.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete