Chef Chuck's Italian Onion Soup

Zuppa Di Cipolle

Italian onion soup is the answer to a cold snowy winter evening. The entire house is filled with a wonderful aroma, my appetite is growing. This is a very simple and inexpensive answer to a great dinner. As the onions caramelize they release their sugars and become so sweet. The sage gives an earthy taste and the wine gives it a richness. I also enjoy how the bread soaks up all that enriched flavorful broth! The fontina has an Italian origin, dating back to the 12th century. This creamy smooth cheese is from cow's milk so it has a mellow taste, and being a soft cheese it melts well.

Italian Onion Soup
3 large white or yellow onions sliced
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
2 tablespoons fresh sage chopped
1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup red wine
4 cups organic chicken broth
thick crusty bread
fontina thick slices

In a pot heat olive oil and butter add onions and saute 15-20 minutes stirring often. Add wine, sage, vinegar, and chicken broth then simmer with lid on for about 20 minutes. In separate bowls (oven proof) place bread then soup and top with cheese. Broil till cheese melts, around 1 minute. Can substitute chicken broth for vegetable broth to make it vegetarian.

14 comments:

  1. I always prefer using fontina as it seems to add a creamier element, which I love. This is definitely my favorite soup to both make and eat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bridgett, I am glad you like!!
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chuck - I just made onion soup a few days ago and also used fontina cheese. I didn't think to add the sage though - sounds like a nice herbal touch. Your picture is beautiful too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chuck, I want this soup for dinner, and the blueberry torte for dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aaaaahhh, I'm feeling warmer already in this cold, rainy weather! Janet

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Ciao Chow Linda, See, we are thinking the same!
    Thank You

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Proud Italian Cook. It yours, you just have to travel a ways!!
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi LaDue, I knew you would!! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a delicious soup. I love French onion but have never tried this version. It looks and sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Pam, Yes somewhat different, but I think you will like!
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  11. I could so go for this RIGHT NOW!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Live.Love.Eat, Make it soon it's easy!!
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this version of onion soup. It looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete