Chef Chuck's Bolognese

Sugo alla Bolognese

Bolognese is a meat sauce with many complex flavors. It originated in Bologna, Italy also known as the (fat city). Bologna is known for having some of the best meats around the world. This meat sauce is very rich and hearty, a perfect winter night dinner with the family. The aroma in the whole house was so inviting, I love bolognese. This particular sauce should be served with ribbon pasta like tagliatelle or fettuccine, we used tripoline. It also should be served with a good Chianti and of course bread. Freezes well.

Bolognese
10 ounces ground beef
1 thick slice pancetta, chopped
1 carrot, small cubes
1 celery , small cubes

1/2 onion, small cubes

6 tablespoons tomato sauce
6 ounces red dry wine
1 cup whole milk
1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon black cracked pepper

3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/2 pound ribbon pasta

In a heavy saucepan, heat olive oil and saute' carrots, celery and onions for 5 minutes. Stir occasionally then set aside. Add beef and pancetta and brown for 3 minutes add wine and simmer 1 minute then slowly add milk. Then stir in tomato sauce, vegetables, salt and pepper simmer very gently for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Stir often keep lid almost shut. Serve over a ribbon pasta. Serves 4

15 comments:

  1. Now this brings back memories... and it's always a kitchen staple. I seem to always have these ingredients on hand- although lately I have definitely cut back on the pancetta! Janet

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Chuck,
    Your bolognese looks mouthwatering fantastic. One of my favorite things to eat by far. Nice sounding recipe! How are the news segments going?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi LaDue and Crew, That's great memories are good!
    Do it again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jenny, Thanks, it was delish! Yes I just did a live segment on nbc Monday. We had a blast, I had the wonderful host Destry Jetton help make the best cannoli! Looking forward to our next one in March.
    Thank You

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a Sunday lunchtime classic in our family too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bologna is a city close to my heart - as is this excellent dish. You did it proud.

    I'm enjoying your blog and have had the chance to catch up on some of your older posts - lovely stuff (as we say this side of the pond). Have added you to my sidebar so that I can check back more often. (Still dreaming about that lobster.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Scintilla, I will be there Sunday~!
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello casalba, I feel privileged to be a part of your great blog from the land I love, Italy! Your info that you have for all to see is wonderful! I will also add you to my foodie friend list

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have had my eye on a bolognese recipe for some time now and this reminds me I need to get moving. It looks so full of flavor and hard to resist on a plate of pasta!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes Bridgett, This sauce is very tasty! Thank

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum... this looks very good! The milk is an interesting addition that I am looking forward to trying. Except for that it is similar to what I have had here in Campania. Tripoline is my absolute favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Laura, This addition of milk give this dish a softer more velvet like beef texture. I love Tripoline too!!
    Thank You

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks fabulous Chuck! I've never heard of Tripoline.. You've made me very hungry now!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello YankeeSoaper, Just use Fettucine!
    Thank You

    ReplyDelete