Chef Chuck's Italian Asparagus

Asparagi

Asparagus sprouting is a sign that spring is near something we all want to hear. A healthy vegetable low in calories, rich in vitamins A and B. I like the thin stalks they seem to be more tender and more enjoyable to eat. I used small red nubian garlic from Sicily that I grew last year any good quality garlic will do. This dish is a meal in itself it has everything you desire bread, meats, cheese, and vegetables. Served with a glass of wine we have a well balanced dinner!


Italian Asparagus
1 pound organic asparagus
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
7 small garlic cloves, thinly sliced

2 eggs
1/4 cup water

2 slices Italian bread

8 thin slices prosciutto
parmigano shavings
salt and pepper to taste


Wash stems, holding one stalk at each end bend and where it breaks is where you want to cut the rest. In a frying pan add olive oil and garlic and simmer 30 seconds. Add asparagus, water, salt and pepper simmer for 5 minutes with lid on. In a separate frying pan cook egg sunny side up! Place 1 thin slice of bread on serving plate wrap some of the asparagus with proscuitto and place on top of bread. Then put egg on top of stalks, drizzle oil, garlic, shaved parmigiano, salt and pepper on top of dish.
Serves 2

17 comments:

  1. Near where I live they have the Asparagus Festival in April. It is such heaven trying all the different asparagus dishes they offer. You can go broke buying up different dishes to try! I love it though. My husband would love this meal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bridgett, A festival sounds like fun!
    Thank You

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always wanted to try growing my own, but can't find the crowns. There are wild asparagus in the mountains in Italy but I'm not there at the right time to pick them usually. I'll have to look out for them this Easter.
    This dish is a meal in itself! Yum...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Scintilla, I had only a little area in my greenhouse that had asparagus, but I needed the space for my garlic. I would enjoy going out and finding wild asparagus!
    Thank You

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfection! This is my kind of dish, it looks fantastic Chuck.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Pam, You like, This is good!!
    Thank You

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks like a lovely combination. That egg is positively shouting my name!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum! I used to make this dish all the time when we lived in Italy and I love it. Yours is much prettier though!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello casalba, That it is, and when the egg breaks there's more flavor!
    Thank You

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Chef Chuck. We can't wait to come out tomorrow! It's going to be a big Aflitto-Nicoll extravaganza. Hope everything blog-wise is running smoothly!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooh this looks great! I picked up a small bunch of asparagus at the shop yesterday but they are still VERY expensive here in Italy so I will wait a couple of weeks. I remember this time last year tasting my first Italian asparagus and realising that the imported ones I ate in Australia were nothing but an imitation!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Margaret my love, we will be waiting with open arms!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Monika, I bet the soils of Italy must grow a very flavorful asparagus! Yumm
    Grazie!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice! I have some asparagus in the fridge! Looks like dinner tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Ash, Sounds good to me, a good green veggie!!
    Thank You

    ReplyDelete
  16. The picture is just beautiful and the dish looks delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Live.Love.Eat, It really is!!
    Thank You

    ReplyDelete