Chef Chuck's Blueberry Torta

Torta ai mirtilli

I enjoy this refreshing Blueberry Torta after dinner or even with Sunday morning coffee. This fresh fruit tart is especially delightful when warm, with a hint of cool silky whip cream on top or vanilla ice cream. I have always loved these plump blue beauties and the fact that they're high in Vitamin C is an extra bonus.

Blueberry Torta

Crust
1 1/4 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
6 tablespoons butter chilled,
cut in 1/4 inch pieces
5-6 tablespoons cold water


In a food processor pulse flour, sugar and salt to mix. Add butter and mix and add water, 1 tablespoon at a time. Turn on to a floured board knead to form a ball wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour. Let dough rest on board for 15 minutes
and roll out to form pie shell.

Filling
4 cups fresh blueberries or
4 cups frozen blueberries thawed
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup flour

1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
zest of 1/2 a lemon
1" vanilla bean scraped or

1 teaspoon vanilla

1 tablespoon butter
Gently combine all ingredients and pour in pie shell. Fold over edges of crust and brush with egg whites and sprinkle sugar on top. Bake 400 degrees for 30 minutes. Cool and make whip cream for the topping.

Whip Cream
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon powdered sugar
Beat on high till firm peaks form.

15 comments:

  1. Beautiful... I love blueberries! Safeway has fresh ones on sale with their card right now for .98 cents!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks wonderful! Unfortunately the blueberries don't fruit so well in my garden (or the birds get to them before me). I might try this with raspberries or the other soft berries we have. Actually I have apples still sitting in the cellar so I'll make them with the crust for dessert tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi LaDue and Crew, And they are good for us! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Scintilla, I love raspberries, plus those apples sound sweet!! Hope you will Enjoy!
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the little bit of summertime that just entered my day with the blueberry torta.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Ciao Chow Linda, Your welcome, the future looks bright! Enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  7. My husband would fall in love with me once again if I made this for him. It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Bridgett, You better make it for valentines day!
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks amazing! Thanks so much for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love blueberries! This looks especially tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Welcome Zesty Cook, Thank you for your comment!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Ash, They are tasty! Enjoy
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  13. those vanilla beans make all the difference don't they?
    I have blueberries to use up, I might try this one.

    ReplyDelete