Chef Chuck's Italian Seaweed Puffs


These seaweed puffs have a light delicate crunch. A fantastic appetizer to serve before any meal. Seaweed is a very healthy vegetable, this recipe is fun to make with the whole family.


Seaweed Puffs
3/4 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon yeast
1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
pinch of sugar
pinch of salt
1/2 cup warm water
1/4 cup seaweed
1/2 cup parmigiano cheese, grated
canola oil for frying
lemon wedges


In a bowl mix flour, yeast, olive oil, sugar, salt and water and let rest 1 hour. Soak seaweed for 5 minutes, gently add to flour mixture then add parmigiano. Heat oil to 350 degrees and drop 1 tablespoon of mixture, can fry 3 at a time. Fry and turn till golden brown place on towel and salt. Serve with lemon. Makes about 12 puffs.

16 comments:

  1. Seaweed? In Italian cooking? Now this is a new one on me! Is this the kind you buy dried for example in sushi? Where do you get it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look great Chuck! I use kelp in many of my dishes.. what type do you recommend?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Ciao Chow Linda, While in my visits in Italy, I came upon a little restaurant in Priano on the Amalfi coast. This place served a similar seaweed puff. I created my own, but seaweed in Italy, yes!!
    I got mine at a local organic store it's called: Arame Sea Vegetable. {Dried}
    Thank You,:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi YankeeSoaper, Kelp is also good, I use Arame Sea Vegatable. {Dried}, Thank You:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now this is a new one! Sounds pretty cool!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi LaDue, No your cooler!! Thanks You:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. sea weed puffs? Wow... so interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow, this is very interesting. Where do you find the seaweed? A very nice touch, Chef Chuck. Impressive as always.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes Bridgett, I got my seaweed at our local organic store. It come in a bag and is dry. Thank You:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You will not be disappointed by trying out this recipe. I lived ini Naples, Italy for over a year, and have been looking for this recipe ever since I moved back. Chef Chuck you are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Pam, Glad you have found this unique recipe from Italy! Naples for a year sounds interesting!!
    Thank You

    ReplyDelete
  12. they are delicious !!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I spent 4 years stationed in Naples, Italy from 2000 - 2004 with the US Navy and have been looking for this recipe all over ever since. I couldn't recall what they were called and I'm so grateful I came upon this website finally! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad I could bring you this long lost recipe!
    Enjoy...

    ReplyDelete