Chef Chuck's Bucatini with Squid

Bucatini con Calamari

Italy's, Amalfi coast comes to mind as I indulge in this seafood pasta dish. Bucatini cooked al dente combines well with the tender squid. The sauce was created with walnuts, garlic and cherry tomatoes then topped with fresh picked basil. A refreshing summer pasta recipe for all the enjoy.

Bucatini with Squid
1 pound bucatini
5 tablespoons olive oil
2 ounces anchovies
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cups walnuts, chopped
1 pint cherry tomatoes, 2 cups, cut in half
1 1/2 cups squid, cut in rings
3 tablespoons fresh basil, thin strips
1/2 cup water
red hot pepper flakes
pasta water

Wash and cut squid in rings, trim tentacles. In a large frying pan heat olive oil add anchovies and stir until they begin to dissolve. Add garlic, walnuts, cherry tomatoes, squid and 2 tablespoons basil and water stir to combine all ingredients. Place lid on and simmer for 45 minutes, stirring once. Cook pasta till al dente about 10-11 minutes, using tongs place pasta in pan then add pasta water with ladle, about 1/2 cup. Sprinkle hot pepper flakes and remaining basil on and a drizzle of olive oil.

13 comments:

  1. I love the idea of walnuts in this dish

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is something I would order in a fancy restaurant and here you made this yourself. I'm impressed as always. I might fancy a bit of lemon on the calamari, what do you think, Chef?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Food Hunter, Yes, even pistachio nuts gives that great nutty flavor!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant Bridgett! I like the additive of lemon it my give even more freshness to this dish. Plus, the Amalfi region which I base this recipe on, has some of the best lemons in the world!
    Grazie Grazie :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hats off to you, Chuck! This looks like an incredibly delicious creation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Joe, I thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love calamari and this looks really good put together.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello C, The calamari is really good together with the pasta, the textures plus flavors work well! Please try one day! Thank you :)
    P.S. Your art is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Bucatini!! yours looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Chef Dennis, I am so glad you like this dish!
    Love what you do, in teaching the right foods to eat!
    Thank you:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hate myself !!! Today is Father's Day here in France...Why didn't I prepare your dish? (well...you should 've posted it before!) =D
    I'm sure my husband would prefer your dish to what I prepared....Well, next Sunday for sure...
    Thanks, Chuck!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Cristina, Happy Father's day in France!! We are a 1/2 hour away! I guess I feel privileged to here that you! You and your hubby can enjoy this dish, in the near future~ Your welcome, have fun!

    ReplyDelete