Chef Chuck's Arancini


The word "arancini", in Italy, actually means little oranges! Arancini are an ancient treasure found all over Italy. These wonderful bundles of flavor have been around for over 1,000 years. Traditional arancini were made cone shaped, although I make mine into little balls. Enjoy as a tasty antipasto or snack.








Arancini are made with arborio rice do to its high starch content that releases slowly to make a cream risotto.










Ancient Arancini Recipe

1 cup arborio rice
4 cups stock (vegetable, beef, or chicken)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/3 cup finely chopped onion
1 tablespoon butter

2 eggs
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
1/4 cup parmigiano reggiano

mozzarella cubes and pea's
vegetable oil for frying
salt and pepper to taste

Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and cook for about 2 minutes. Add rice and stir in for 3 minutes. Slowly add stock and about 1/3 cup at a time until all liquid is gone. This may take about 20-25 minutes. Stir in butter, salt, pepper, and cheese. At this time you can add any sort of fillers (I suggest using one or two of these: mozzarella, peas, proscuitto, cherry tomatoes, mushrooms, parsley, etc.) Transfer to a bowl and let cool for 5 minutes. Add 1 beaten egg. Form rice balls. You may press a small filling into the center. Coat with flour, shaking off any excess and then dip into beaten egg, followed by breadcrumbs. Heat oil for frying (350 degrees) and fry in small batches. Drain in paper towels and ENJOY!

12 comments:

  1. Che buono!! Chuck, what are you making for Christmas dinner?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Memories of Sundays past. Delicioso Chuck! Buon natale

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness Chef Chuck. I adore rice balls! I must save this recipe. I'm designated rice ball maker in my family! My aunt use to fill the center with ground meat, peas and sauce or was that potato cakes. They are both the BEST!

    P.S. Dropped in via one of favorite places to visit; Finding La dolce Vita. Bookmarked!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Louise, I am glad you like the rice balls, and plus you have practice at it!!
    I also love them with beef,sauce.Potato Cakes sounds really good.I would like that recipe if it is still around.
    I wanted to thank you Louise for checking my new blog out.
    Chuck

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chef... che buono! one of my favorites. I prefer them without the sauce as you made them... my mother adds ham in hers. delicious! Thanks for stopping by Italyville. I'll be back. Buone feste e buon appetito!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ciao Sofia, You know Italians at Christmas get some what crazy!! We start on the eve of Christmas,the seven sea foods are a must.
    Then on Christmas Day three dishes, anti pasti,then the family's chicken soup with the mini meatballs, finally the main which could be turkey or ham.
    You are most likely full by just hearing this craze we go through!!!
    Grazie, Chuck

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Jadeane, What a nice name you have.
    That is one of the things I love about food, Memories that come back to us. I am glad you like. Hope to here from you more, Buon natale, Chuck

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Joe, Sounds good, what type of ham? You know the best teacher was my mother, better then any culinary school could try to teach me!
    I will also learn and share with you our great family recipes.
    Grazie, Chuck

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look really good, I think I may need to make some!

    thank for the great comment!

    Ash

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Ash, I am glad you may indu"ge, the only pointer is don't let your temp drop below 350 degrees. Only put in a few at a time.
    Your Welcome, Chuck

    ReplyDelete
  11. Soooo,delicious my daughters and I really enjoyed
    making and eating. Chuck, the recipe was right to the point with no hidden agendas this is the first time I was able to follow directions from a recipe without messing things up. My mother always taught us to eyeball everything! Thank you so much,
    Marina

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Marina, Glad you enjoyed! This is what it is all about connecting with my veiwers and sharing great easy dishes! Thanks so much for your lovely comment! Chef Chef Chuck

    ReplyDelete