Chef Chuck's Italian Onion Rings

Anelli di Cipolla


Italian onion rings are light and fluffy yet crunchy. I prefer to use a large sweet onion, like a Vidalia or a Walla Walla. The batter becomes thick and sticks well to the sweet onion. The red hot pepper flakes gives a touch of heat.


Italian Onion Rings
1/2 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon red hot pepper flakes
1/2 cup parmigiano cheese
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup beer
canola oil


In a large bowl combine all dry ingredients including cheese then add oil, eggs and beer to batter, mix well. Cover and set aside for 30 minutes. Cut onions into 1/2 inch slices, separate carefully. In a small pot heat about 2 inches of canola oil to 350 degrees. Dip 1 onion ring at a time into batter, coat well, drain a bit, place in oil. Fry 2 or 3 onion rings at a time and maintain a 350 degree oil. Fry both sides until golden brown, drain on paper towels, season with salt.

9 comments:

  1. Hi Sophie, Please do try one day!! I love them! Thank you, take care:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woah! These look like the ultimate onion ring!! NEED to try!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Ash! They have a cake like texture! Take care:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why did I have to see this recipe? Now I have to make them and EAT them! ; )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jodi, Well at least your going to taste some great onion rings! Take care, thank you;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh gosh. These look to die for. I have made onion rings at home and love them. A thin southwestern type but I am so loving that you have parmesan in your batter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What's more awesome is I always have all of this on hand. I must make these.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello, Live.Love.Eat, I enjoy onions every way possible! The batter is exceptional!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Live.Love.Eat, I agree! Please do, Thank You :)

    ReplyDelete