Chef Chuck's Fried Zucchini Flowers

Fiori di Zucca


Fried zucchini flowers are best when picked early in the morning so we always have them for breakfast. A delicate delight that we look forward to every season. Filled with 3 cheeses, this recipe has a creamy inside and a light crunch on the outside.


Fried Zucchini Flowers
6 zucchini flowers
1/2 cup ricotta cheese
3 tablespoons mozzarella, shredded
2 tablespoons parmigiano, grated
salt and pepper to taste
1 egg
1 teaspoon milk
1 tablespoon flour
olive oil for frying


Pick zucchini flowers early in the morning when they are partially open. Carefully remove stamen, inner part, wash and pat dry. Combine ricotta, mozzarella, parmigiano, salt and pepper. In a flat bowl mix egg, milk and flour beat with a fork till smooth. Put cheese in a pastry bag or plastic bag and snip a corner, fill flowers, gently squezze cheese to fill flower. Dip in egg then fry in a small frying pan with olive oil. I fry 2 at a time then place on paper towels and salt. Serve hot.

13 comments:

  1. You have these for breakfast? Wow, now that is a treat worth getting up for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Ciao Chow Linda, Light enough for the morning!!
    Very seasonal! Thank You :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chuck,
    I made my Fiori yesterday for dinner! We are in synch.

    I fry mine in a lightweight batter, rather than in egg, and I fill them with mozzarella only, and add just a hint of anchovy in the filling too.

    Did you get a chance to read the recipe I posted a little while back?

    FIORI Fried Zucchini Blossoms

    Ciao,
    Lola xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always wanted to try these, but never see them around!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ash, You must try these flowers!! Maybe your local farmers market my have them. Or next Sunday you are invited to breakfast!! Thank You :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lola, Lola, This is wonderful! We think the same, my Italian foodie! Your recipe, sound really good. I will check out your past post. Thank You, xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, I have never even seen zucchini flowers. I would LOVE this for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, Live.Love.Eat, you must find these wonderful flowers! Thank You :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I adore zucchini flowers to make an african dish called "Matapa" (mix of penuts, dry and fresh shrimp, zucchini flowersa and etc..your recipe is also tasteful :D
    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Paula, Welcome! Your dish Matapa sounds very interesting and delightful! I must indulge one day. Thank You :)

    ReplyDelete